Hi everyone, I hope you are having a great day so far. I wanted to share ways to improve quantity and quality of sleep as it is extremely important to our physical health. To maximize your health/fitness results, you need to proper exercises with the proper sets, reps, weights, recovery time, diet, sleep. It's all tied together and I hope this helps anyone who is struggling with ways to fall asleep. Enjoy
1) Let your imagination free - Insomniacs who practice visualization, like a relaxing scene, on average fall asleep 20 minutes fasters than those told to count sheep or do nothing. Think of a yoga class, springtime fields, waterfalls, visualize the last place you meditated, jogging through the park, soothing ocean scenery etc. Think of your favorite chill and relaxing songs, go over them in your head.
2) Complete chores, bills and other activities several hours before bedtime - Putting them off can add stress due to planning your next day in your head. The less you have to think about before bed, the better.
3) Sleeping position - People who sleep on their back are more prone to sleeping disorders like sleep apnea and lower back pain. Sleeping on your side is more beneficial for your heart as it prevents heartburn and reflux.
4) Avoid alcohol before bedtime - if you are like me, you'll wake up in the middle of the night to go urinate. It can also cause crazy dreams or nightmares that wake you up in a bitter mood.
5) Keep your bedroom dark, quiet and relaxing - Get rid of loud distractions like your phone, the light from a computer, cell phone, lamp etc.
6) Change your pillow - Sleeping on the wrong pillow could cause poor sleep quality. This can be due to discomfort and chronic back/neck pain. You can find a neck pillow which will keep your neck in a straight line, or even use two pillows (my personal favorite), one for the head and one between your knees which can keep your hips in a neutral position.
7) Avoid caffeinated beverages in the afternoon and evening - Energy drinks are NO MUY BUENO for you as it is, now they can disrupt your sleep cycle if used at the wrong time.
8) Maintain the same sleep/wake schedule every day, including weekends (if possible) - This helps your body program itself to wake up naturally at a certain time everyday. There's been a few ocassions where I mistakenly fall asleep before setting my phone alarm and I still wake up at the same time that I normally would if the alarm would have sounded. I still set the alarm though because i'm not gonna play with fire lol
9) Workout during the day - Oh hey, look how that beautifully tied into this. We have morning and evening boot camp classes guaranteed to help you sleep comfortably. Your sleep will feel better too. You know that great feeling of falling on your bed on leg day, good stuff.
10) Have light snack before bed, not a heavy meal - If you eat heavy before sleep, you wake up full yet some how hungry again. This is also known to cause long exhausting dreams that you remember and it often messes with your head in the morning.
11) Don't fall asleep with the television on - an irritating infomercial or the changing pace of programming can wake you back up. Especially if its a show or topic you feel strongly about.
12) Warm feet/hands - Wearing socks to warm your feet before going to bed can prepare your body for sleep. Cold feet obstructs falling asleep faster, not to mention you can wake up sick. No one wins there.
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- Repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
for more info on this breathing technique, https://www.livestrong.com/article/149332-4-7-8-breathing-exercises/
Thank you for reading and I hope this helps you find a way to sleep better, faster and more........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz